Keeping You Informed
Small-Scale Production of Acidified Canned Foods
Information is available to help small businesses in Wisconsin that process salsa, pickles and other acidified foods for sale.
Your gateway to food safety information from the U.S. govenment and government agencies.
Selecting and Serving Safe Fresh Produce
Recent data suggest that increasingly fresh produce is linked to foodborne illnesses. The FDA offers information on selecting and serving safe produce for your family.
Safe Home Food Preservation
Saving the bounty of your garden as delicious home-preserved food can be rewarding. Be sure to follow safe, tested recipes for maximum enjoyment. NEW! webinars posted every few weeks.
Ask Karen is the new food safety information service available from the United States Department of Agriculture.
Now, automated food safety information is available 24/7 on the prevention of foodborne illness, as well as the safe handling, preparation and storage of meat, poultry and egg products.
ChooseMyPlate.gov helps you focus on key behaviors:
- Enjoy food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits & veggies.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Compare sodium in foods.
- Make half your grains whole.
Wisconsin Acidified Canned Foods
Registration is now open for the Acidified Canned Foods training for Fall 2014. Open to Wisconsin food processors only.
October 16, 2014 - Wausau (CLOSED)
November 13, 2014 - Madison (Register online)
Brochure and registration information can be found here
FDA Better Process Control School
Date and address:
- Schedule available soon
- May 11-14, 2015
- University of Wisconsin - Pyle Center
- Registration information coming soon
Documents and helpful links:
- Brochure and registration information
- Enrollment Form
- Online Registration
- Wisconsin Union Hotel reservations
- Campus Parking (UW Transportation Services)
Safe & Healthy: Preserving Food at Home
Join the Blog for frequent updates and tips on safely preserving the bounty of the season.
- NEW! Food Preservation Lunch & Learn webinars
- Tailgating Tips for Summertime Food Safety (June 20)
- Barbeque and Food Safety (June 20)
- Barbeque and Food Safety (En Espanol) (June 20)
- Best BBQ and Grilling Recipes (June 20)
- Summertime Food Safety Basics (June 20)
- Food Safety for Older Adults (June 20)
- Home Canned Sweet Spreads with Green Chilies (Oct. 1, 2012)
- Safety of Cantaloupe (Aug. 20, 2012)
- Back-to-School Food Safety Reminders (Aug. 15, 2012)
- Wisconsin's Pickle Bill (Aug. 15, 2012)
- Using Clear-Jel for Low-Sugar Jam (Oct. 20, 2011)
In the News
Ask a Question
RecipeSource is your source for recipes on the Internet. With over 70,000 recipes, you are sure to find something of interest.
Objective. Research-based. Credible. Information and tools you can use every day to improve your life.
Visit: eXtension.org for more information.